Friday, January 22, 2010

Company-Wide Comic Book Events

In preparation for an upcoming comic book sale I reduced the prices of most comics I'm trying to sell by half if I was selling them for a $1 but they're older than 5 years. Doing so I noticed something scary: the precurser mini-series to Infinite Crisis (e.g. Rann-Thanagar War) at DC and Secret War and House of M at Marvel were from 2005, barely making 5-year period. So for people who've been reading the major superhero comics since at least 2005, there's been few if any months that have gone by without a mass superhero crossover in over half a decade!

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a fun mass-superhero team up every so often, even once or twice a year, but they lose what makes them special if they happen all the time. And it's fun to read a superhero title that's contained in of itself but which isn't aimed at either younger readers or "mature' readers.

Despite all the crossovers the 2000s were still a better decade for comics than the 1990s, but I can't help but think that some of the potential of the early 2000s got lost along the way. let's give Superman, Spider-Man, et al some well-deserved R&R and likewise let readers replenish their wallets a bit. Then once everyone's rejuvenated, we can start talking crossovers again. Deal?

No comments: