Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yesterday’s Power Outage

Interrupting the old trip reports because of something that happened yesterday that I wanting to record while fresh in my mind.

At around 7 pm my computer went off. That might have been a coincidence (my dad and I disconnected from a Messenger video chat around then) but then about an hour later the power went out completely. Looking out my balcony I could see that the lights weren’t working at the four-way stop nearest my apartment. After a few minutes of sorting through DVDs I became curious enough to head outside and take pics. That proved harder than expected because the backup generators in my building hadn’t turned on so the hallway and much of the stairwell were pitch dark. Luckily I didn’t have too far to walk down the stairs to leave the building.

Outside I determined that it was a few blocks of my street that were out. There was more honking than usual for power outages but drivers were still mostly cooperative with each other. I soon learned to cross streets when cars were crossing at the same time, thus keeping myself relatively safe (it was still light out though).

There’s a 7-11 on my street so it was pretty eerie seeing that dark, as it’s open 24 hours. A lady said she lived outside the area but apparently heard a bang. I eventually took all the pics I could really take and turned via a door that’s normally locked but what open due to no elevators. By this time the backup generators were working so the halls were lit at least. The power came on again a while later.

No comments: