Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Europe 2002 Trip Reports Part 15 Munich Day 4


This is the 15th of a series of posts recalling my trip to Europe, using e-mails sent at the time.  Unlike later trips, I didn’t e-mail people everyday.  Trip reports are largely as I wrote them at the time with two exceptions: 1. I was usually pretty rushed due to Internet fees in Europe, so I’ve cleaned up my e-mails to make them more coherent, which wasn’t a priority at the time.  Also, in some blog posts I’ll add additional thoughts with the hindsight of nine years later or to add further clarification.  I’ll use “NOW” in such cases.

This 15th report covered most of my final day in Munich, though there will be one more post kind of related to my time there.

Well, it was sunny in the morning so I dodged bikers and made my way to the English Gardens, while the weather played tug-o-war all day.  As such I didn’t really see much of the colourful elements the gardens are known for.  Finally went to the zoo where it rained again.

[NOW: Apparently the English Gardens are quite the nudist area sometimes.  I’m pretty sure I also visited them earlier as well.]

It was quite pricey to get to the zoo: two zones bus or Metro, which is E4 each way.

[NOW: Can’t recall which I took now.]

Zoo was pretty nice.  More plants than most which is probably good for the animals.  For dinner ate a Japanese meal at McDonald4s, so American chain, Japanese food, German city, Canadian tourist.  Interesting combo.

Last night the Australians currently sharing my place got home and starting chatting with one another in young male posturing speak.  Didn4t say anything, but since I4ve never bought into the "I could have BLEEPed her" type talk I got a bit of entertainment out of that.

[NOW: At least one of them started farting, which was also pretty funny to them.]

Otherwise a slow day.  Not sure where3 I’m going to end up tomorrow: to include Liechtenstein in my trip en route to Zurich I have to go a roundabout way.  So I could stop for the day at Innsbruck (Austria), Buchs (Switzerland), Vaduz (Liechtenstein) or Zurich (Switzerland) itself.  Will try to work it out this evening, after first calling to find out how the Visa transfer is going.

[NOW: As future reports will demonstrate, I went to Innsbruck for a couple days, then briefly to Vaduz en route to Zurich.]

No comments: