Friday, September 16, 2011

Europe 2002 Trip Reports Part 18 Innsbruck Day 2


This is the 18th of a series of posts recalling my trip to Europe, using e-mails sent at the time.  Unlike later trips, I didn’t e-mail people everyday.  Trip reports are largely as I wrote them at the time with two exceptions: 1. I was usually pretty rushed due to Internet fees in Europe, so I’ve cleaned up my e-mails to make them more coherent, which wasn’t a priority at the time.  Also, in some blog posts I’ll add additional thoughts with the hindsight of nine years later or to add further clarification.  I’ll use “NOW” in such cases.

This 18th report covers my second of two days Innsbruck.

Hope this works, as the hostel computer is temperamental. Meant to mention re Munich is that squirrels there have big ears.  They’re photo shy unfortunately so no pics.

Best way to imagine Innsbruck: imagine you’re at the bottom of a bowl, and the edges are made of mountains.

I didn’t find is quite so interesting today walking around so tomorrow I definitely head out.  I went to a castle (Schlös Ambras) which is really more of a museum. Not worth the price but as a vampire fan had to see the painting of Vlad the Impaler (while not really related to vampires for half the painting’s existence, it has become so because Vlad, though in some ways more interesting for his real life adventures, is best known as Dracula).

Figured out the Zurich problem: my guidebook said 01 prefix for the city and people insisted no prefix; actually a prefix of 1. I reserved a place there.  Might not have needed to, but may do so more often just in case now that June is approaching.

[NOW: I can’t really add much to this particular report beyond that I did indeed become more conscientious about reserving hostel rooms in advance.]

No comments: