Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pacific Northwest Trip July 2009 Day 4 Friday July 24


UPDATED: January 12, 2021, minor editing February 5, 2022
 
This is the fourth of a series of posts dealing my fifth trip to Seattle and second of two trips that year. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of three years later or to add further clarification.  I’ve decided to delete references to an outdated contest which probably wouldn’t be of too much interest to people who don’t know me.

I slept to 7 and felt a lot better in the morning. I took a bus downtown, then to Seatac Airport.  I was last in SeaTac in 1996 flying to/from Disneyland so that was the token been there place.  I think the Borders I wanted to see was behind security but I got a drink at Alki Bakery.
 
[NOW: Both buses were King County Metro Transit; unsure numbers now.  I confirmed the bit about Borders but it’s now defunct anyway.]

I took a bus to Burien and visited CD Connection (gone), Cualta (Spanish themed), Platinum Comics (gone both addresses), Rodriguez Video (gone), Page 2 Books, Blockbuster, Pawn X-Change (bought 2 DVDs, my only Burien purchase), Burien Books, Burien Interim Art Park.

[NOW: Bus was 180?/Metro Transit. Actually Platinum was still there; it just wasn’t open for the day yet but has since closed. Pawn X-Change moved and is now Cash America. Burien Books also moved but later closed. Blockbuster also closed.] 

Took a bus to Tukwila's Westfield Southcenter where I visited Borders, FYE (bought Godzilla DVDs), 2nd Time Around (gone; maybe I'll visit on the third time around), Half Price Books (bought DVD set), Barnes & Noble, Quiznos for lunch, Target, Tukwila Pond Park (the pond was behind the Target).

[NOW:  Bus was 140?/Metro Transit. Borders, again is defunct. that Quiznos has closed.]

I took a bus (where the guy behind me was loudly chewing gum/blowing bubbles) to a section of Renton (108th & 176th) where there was a Pawn X-Change and a Hollywood Video (bought DVD latter).  Walked/took a bus (one stop people got on with a low change plus there was a stroller and wheelchair same stop) to Kent (104/240th) where I visited Hollywood Video, Bubble Books (gone), Value Village, Pawn X-Press (bought DVD but receipt flew off when bus arrived).

[NOW: Buses again were Metro Transit. Pawn X-Change is now Cash America. Hollywood Video is now defunct. Not sure what became of Pawn X-Press; likely it closed or became a Cash America]

Same driver; took bus through the Renton area I was in earlier to another part of Kent, Great Wall Shopping Center, an Asian mall. G & Sons Comics gone, Hello Video gone or renamed).

[NOW: I some sign online that G & Sons may have somehow still been around, just not around all days, but the website has since disappeared. I’ll probably never know for sure what happened there] 

Took another bus to a transfer point.  Bus was late and I started to feel ill.  Embarrassingly on the second bus despite my best efforts got sick just outside downtown.  The best I could to was use a handkerchief to lessen some of the effects.

[NOW: King County Metro Transit again.  Was probably in the SoDo region of just south of that.] 

Finding myself walking earlier than planned, found an AM/PM where I bought a 1 gallon jug of cold water.  I walked some more until I felt comfortable taking the bus the rest of the way downtown.  It was going to Seattle Center but there was a bit of a gridlock so I got off when I started to feel ill.

[NOW: Can’t recall if that bus was King County Metro or Sound Transit.]

Luckily I made it to Seattle Center/International Fountain, taking pics of parade set-up along the way.  The fountain's fancy benches still replaced with plain ones.  Dog from yesterday there again.

Got sick there again so before getting on the buses back to the hostel, I got a Pepto-Bismol equivalent from a nearby Bartell Drugs and then tried to get some mild food from the Metropolitan store underneath.  Still haven't managed dinner, just water, but I now have bananas and low salt Ritz when ready.     

I took a couple buses back to the hostel, stopping of at 7-11 for a drink.  Started to drizzle along the way.  Vegged out upstairs and got sick once more before dragging myself to the computer terminal.

[NOW: King County Metro Transit again; probably 15 or 18 then 44. it was probably the 7-11 near the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks that I stopped at.] 

Hopefully it's just a sun/food thing and I'll be better tomorrow.  Relaxed day already planned for tomorrow luckily.

[NOW: I now think it was heat coupled with drinking warm Gatorade while waiting for the late bus.]

No comments: