Thursday, September 27, 2012

Flickr Uploading Challenges: Niagara Falls

Noting the most signficant areas of Niagara Falls is also a challenge when captioning photos for Flickr.  There are two distinct areas where this is an issue.  In both cases one of the problems is that while you are there you are seeing some pretty amazing things and wanting to get some great shots, and a lot of notable things are quite close together.  Furthermmore, you probably aren't too concerned with taking all shots from a particular angle in a row so that labelling is less time consuming later.  If you're thinking of stuff like that, then Niagara Falls probably isn't for you. Most people will bhe lost in the moment while there.

At the falls themselves there are multiple landmarks I like to note. Again, my camera is in constant motion, so it's rare that too many photos in a row feature the exact same combination of the below.  So, all in one pretty close area are:
  1. Niagara Falls, Ontario (the city)
  2. Niagara Falls, New York (the city; pretty much all phtosof this city while at the falls will also contain Niagara Falls State Park)
  3. The Rainbow Bridge (actually rey, but since it's the means of crossing countries by car or foot, it's quite notable)
  4. The observation deck on the New York side
  5. The American Falls
  6. The Bridal Veil Falls (pretty close to the American Falls)
  7. The Horseshoe (Canadian Falls)
In some cases I also note the Maid of the Mist.  I also make note when I'm actually on the observation deck or the Rainbow Bridge.

The other area, and again, my camera's in constact motion, so the exact same combo of attractions appearing many times in a row is rare, is Clifton Hill.  Clifton Hill has lots of intersting tacky attractions. So many in fact that I decided I couldn't really list them all, sadly. Otherwise I'd never finish.  The ones I do note are:
  1. Guinness World Records Museum
  2. Movieland Wax Museum
  3. Haunted House
  4. Dracula's Haunted Castle (this can cause some confusion because it's just a couple doors down from the Haunted House)
  5. SkyWheel
  6. Ripley's Believe it or Not Musum (particular if the photo depicts King Kong hanging fom the exterior of the attraciton)
  7. Burger King (particularly if it depicts the Frankenstein Monster holding a Whopper)
  8. House of Frankenstein
  9. Criminals Hall of Fame Wax Museum (not actually on Clifton Hill, but visible from the north end of the street)
  10. I also tag Dairy Queen and Wendy's because the major fast food chains tend to attract views/
Again, there's lots more I could list including Adventureland and Brick City, but I have a lot to note as it is.

So the photos are fun to look at, probably some of my best photos whenever I visit the Golden Horseshoe region, but boy are they incredibley slow to caption!

No comments: