Monday, September 3, 2012

Pacific Northwest Trip Summer 2010 Day 12 Friday August 6

UPDATED: January 28, 2021

This is the twelfth and final of a series of posts dealing my seventh trip to Seattle as an adult and second of two trips that year. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification. 

Definitely will declare over my limit. Hope that if I'm honest even if I have to pay duty that I don't have to sit in the "penalty box"

Roommates this eve were three people from London, ON. One arrived back around 2 and started snoring before I could get to sleep. Finally did manage some more sleep but then the rest stumbled in around 4 and turned on a very loud fan. Since I was awake anyway, thought I'd send this of before heading out.

And I'm off...to Victoria!

[NOW: The above was written in the morning; the rest I wrote in the evening.]

I headed down to an overhead walkway taking me across to the waterfront, then made good time getting to the ferry terminal.  Unlike on the way there, there were no bus cancellations so I was able to take my traditional route getting back.

[NOW: The overhead walkway may have been the Bell Street Bridge but I don’t recall for sure.]

I took the earlier of two possible early morning ferries to Bainbridge (had breakfast on the ferry), then took a bus to Poulsbo, where after resting a bit I walked around a bit.  As I knew would happen due to scheduling, the next bus on my route arrived after the next bus from the ferry arrived (taking the earlier ferry is merely insurance/a chance to see Poulsbo a bit longer/a means to get started sooner). This next bus went to Port Townsend but to make my connection to Sequim I got off before the town proper.  During the bus to Sequim, in which I used a daypass from the previous bus, my favourite camera finally began working again.

[NOW: The ferry was a Washington State Ferries ferry. The bus to Poulsbo was the 90 Kitsap Transit.  The next bus, where I got off at Four Corners, was the 7 Jefferson Transit. The bus to Sequim was the 8 Jefferson Transit. In Poulsbo I got off at Poulsbo Transfer Center and walked around Poulsbo Village, but that\s no longer possible because buses now connect instead at North Viking Transit Center. I likely switched to the bus to Sequim at the four Corners area, which now has a Park & Ride]

I started alphabetizing my DVDs in Sequim for a few reasons: useful later, helps make more room in my bags, and something to kill time because I had to much stuff to want to walk around.  After the bus from Sequim to Port Angeles I found a place off to the side to finish the alphabetizing.  I think it did make my bags feel marginally lighter.  I had lunch at Dairy Queen, then took the Victoria Express to Victoria.  It used to cost more than the Coho but now it's cheaper.  Plus it's faster and in the noon period leaves sooner.

[NOW: The bus to Port Angeles was the 30 Commuter, Clallam Transit. That Dairy Queen is now closed. The Victoria Express ferry has been turned into a tour boat and no longer goes to Victoria.]

I fully expected to be delayed at Customs because of the amount I was declaring but that didn't happen.  Definitely have more of a sense now as to how far you can go over your limit if you've been away a while.

When I got home my answering machine had a message from someone who wanted to be buzzed in on the previous Saturday and kept saying "Hello? Hello?" over and over.

But the BC government had the last word.  I opened up an envelope from them and found a cheque for zero dollars and zero cents.

No comments: