Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Toronto Trip June 2012 Day 1 Tuesday June 4

UPDATED: February 1, 2021

This is the first of a series of posts dealing with my second and most recent trip to Toronto. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports.  Due to how recent the trip was, there are no updates to note below.

A few corrective notes from the next day folded into this report.

Well, I woke up at 2:22am PDT, about 4 hours' sleep and couldn't get back to sleep.  I moved my bed because I'm having some work done while away; that way it looks like someone's home at least one extra day.

I made it to the Dalton; a taxi showed up, probably wishful thinking. Happily the Akal Airporter arrived soon after and I made it to the airport at 4:40 and checked in. At 5 Tim Horton's at the airport opened so I ate there.  Unrelated to my flight, the intercom mentioned an Air Canada Express flight to Vancouver. Does the non-express stop in the Gulf Islands??
[NOW: The Akal Airporter has been replaced with the YYJ Airporter.]

Curiously when it came time to board, the announcement didn't mention the flight name, destination, or gate number; I figured it out anyway. Happily they boarded the back half first (my half).  The plane left about 15 minutes late for some reason.  There were some clouds, some areas more than others, but it was more or less clear the bulk of the flight especially after BC, which was cloud-covered the whole part after take-off.  It flew over BC, AB, SK, MB, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, ON. Got some incredible landing photos including of the CN Tower and the Toronto Islands.  Only problem was it landed 30 min late.  Upon arrival I should have got some lunch at A&W because the baggage took a while to arrive.

I took the 192 Rocket bus (with the unfortunate slogan Ride the Rocket) from Pearson Airport (Mississauga) to Kipling Station (Etobicoke, now part of Toronto) and from there took the Bloor-Danforth train to Dufferin Station. I got turned around upon arrival but it was nice and sunny so I didn't mind so much. I think it was around this time that I saw a cute black cat with white nose in a window. I made it to my friend Aidan's place.  No one was around but I had a code to get in; I have a very funny story there but unfortunately I can't talk about it without revealing the code. 
[NOW: All transportation the rest of the day TTC/Toronto Transit Commission. 192 Rocket is now 900 Airport Express but the routes are the same. The above train is now Line 2]

I dropped off my stuff and, now 4 pm EDT finally had lunch at Subway.  I tried phoning Aidan back at Dufferin Station but one phone was in use and the other didn't like the number 4 so I found another phone nearby and left a message. I visited Zoinks (a book store/DVD store near Aidan's old place that I kept reaching when it was closed for the day last year; finally made it!), then 2Q Video, Suspect Video (bought DVDs), the Beguiling (comic shop). Another phone ate my quarters but then I reached Aidan sooner after and we agreed to meet after I got a weekly pass from Bathurst Station, which I overshot dramatically and realized I was quite sleepy.  Another phone ate quarters but then I got Aidan again and we arranged to meet at Future Bakery. En route I visited the Bloor branch of Queen Video. After we chatted I visited Bloor St's BMV Books, Book City, and Seeker Books, then we met up again and he showed me the new location of that area's Sonic Boom Records where I got more DVDs, some 99c.  He was on bike so I took the Bloor-Danforth train at Bathurst Station back to his pace after changing memory cards, where we met up yet again.
[NOW: 2Q Video, Suspect Video, Queen Video, and that Book City have have closed. The Beguiling and Sonic Boom Records have moved.

Aidan made me some burgers and then were took two more trains (Bloor-Danforth, the Yonge-University-Spadina, where we got the new rocket train with is all one long articulated car to St Clair West. There we took a streetcar to family of Aidan's. I met his aunt and uncle and saw his mom for I think the second time, though neither of us recall where/when the first meet was. I did have a minor disagreement with his uncle on a trivia issue.  He thought that Andrew Sachs (Manuel on Fawlty Towers) was deceased and I thought he was still alive. A check later revealed he was still alive. I won! :)
 
[NOW: The Yonge-University-Spadina train is now Line 1. Andrew Sachs has since passed away.]

There were two cats there but only one took a liking to me.  Aidan doesn't have cats because his niece who lives with him said no so sorry, no great cat stories this time.

Aidan’s stepmom and I went to get a mattress for me so I then took the Bloor-Danforth one stop from Ossington to Dufferin Station and then walked back the rest of the way, seeing the same cat in the window en route.

As before the trains all go "The next station is Dufferin. Dufferin Station" (or whatever station it is; that pattern.

No comments: