Saturday, December 15, 2012

My 2012 Predictions – Outcome



I may be jumping the gun slightly here, but since the final month of December is nearly half over, I’ll reveal what seems to be the outcome of my 2012 predictions but revise it later should anything change.

Well… my success rate was only 40%, though in a few cases I probably just ran out of time. Original prediction noted with the outcome of each after ACTUAL:

1.     In Canada, Rogers will continue with the wireless end of their business but will cease with the video rental aspect of their operations entirely. ACTUAL: Yes, alas.
2.     At least one more video store in Victoria BC (chain or mom and pop) will announce they are closing down. ACTUAL: I actually meant Greater Victoria, not Victoria. Even so, the answer is Yes either way due to Prime Time Video closing.
3.     Blockbuster will announce that they will be closing down in the US. ACTUAL: Lots of closures, but Blockbuster is still hanging on for now.
4.     Barnes & Noble will declare bankruptcy even if they survive into 2013. ACTUAL: No. In hindsight this was probably my weakest prediction.
5.     The final book in the current Official Marvel Index series will be the Wolverine trade. ACTUAL: If my predictions weren’t for 2012, this would be true, as the Punisher index was published, leaving the Wolverine book the last one to come. However, it’s been postponed for now.
6.     The Republicans will win the 2012 US Elections. ACTUAL: Thankfully Obama and the Democrats won a 2nd term
7.     The Avengers movie will do well in the box office, but not quite meet expectations. NOW: I based that on lukewarm receptions to a few of the earlier movies. However, Avengers actually did quite well.
8.      Marvel Comics will make a big announcement that will be largely perceived as a reaction to DC Comics’ success with the new 52 #1s, regardless of if that’s true or not. ACTUAL: Marvel NOW pretty much fits that bill.
9.     Red Dwarf series 10 will be successful enough that Red Dwarf series 11 will be commissioned. ACTUAL: Another case where I seem to have run out of time. It seems likely, but no announcement of late.
10.  In Seattle, RapidRide routes C & D will open within two weeks either direction of when scheduled (okay, so this isn’t a big revelation, but I wanted to allow for some more optimistic news to come true). ACTUAL: I confess I didn’t probably keep exact track of the schedule, but as far as I know, yes.

No comments: