Saturday, June 6, 2015

Southern California Trip 2014 Day 8 Saturday November 1 Disney’s California Adventure

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 8th of a series of posts dealing with my fourth trip to South California. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports. Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of a ¾ year later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”. After I booked the trip I unexpectedly had to move and during that had an Eastern Canada trip that didn’t go that great, so I was already pretty tired before the trip began.

Downpour last night; dog sneaked into my room and on bed; got dog out and bunk mate opened door wide open. Someone's alarm went off around 4:30. Bought DVD at 7-11. Took bus to resort area and ate at McDonald's. At line for Disney’s California Adventure a female worker pointed out a rainbow. Pumpkin imagery still visible from Disneyland Park across from California Adventure.

[NOW: The hostel is Orange Mango Hostel in Santa Ana; the dog is Smokey. The bus I took to resort area is in nearby Orange and the resort area in Anaheim.

When initial doors opened stood at queuing area at Condor Flats. Rainy day off and on today. Again no jacket. When the park fully opened rode Soarin' Over California. Video imagery of California from sky; glider motion simulator. Got World of Color Fastpass for show supposed to start at 9:45 though left park well before that due to mishap I'll mention in a bit.

[NOW: Photography was not permitted in Soarin' Over California and likely also not its replacement, Soarin'.]

Went to Paradise Pier. Goofy’s Sky School and California Screamin' not yet open due to earlier rain. Rode Toy Story Midway Mania, a shoot ‘em up track ride. I got a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land, though Fastpass machine is closer to A Bug’s Land. I went to Hollywood Land and found that Monsters Inc.: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue was also not open. Rode Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, a ride where you shoot upward.  Went to Grizzly Peak and rode Grizzly Bear rapids twice; flume ride. In Paradise Pier, roller the roller coaster Goofy’s Sky School and took photos.

[NOW: Paradise Pier has been split into Pixar Pier and Paradise Gardens Park. Goofy's Sky School is in the latter, Toy Story Midway Mania is in the former. Calfornia Screamin' is now closed but was in the area now Pixar Pier. A Bug's Land is now gone with Avengers Academy to take its place. I tried to get shots of the Twilight Zone queuing area while letting people pass me but still managed to piss people off; it's now gone. Cars Land wasn’t there during my 2008 trip.]

Rode Radiator Spring Racers (track ride which speeds up near the end and was trapped in car at end when ride broke down close to the exit. They never let us out even though the gate was two meters max. Rode Luigi's Flying Tires also in Cars Land: hovercraft/bumper car.  Grabbed lunch in Hollywood Land. Woman screwed up my order and had to fix.  Saw live stage show Aladdin at Hyperion Theatre. Decent show; the genie was ambiguously gay in this version and there was fourth wall breaking which I don't care for but it was well performed. I saw Muppets 3-D (movie with extra effects; apparently last day for now). Rode Monsters Inc.: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue; track ride. Went to A Bug’s Land and saw another 3-D show It's Tough to Be a Bug.
 
[NOW: Luigi's Flying Tires, Muppets 3-D, and It's Tough to Be a Bug are now closed. Aladdin has been replaced in the Hyperion Theatre with Frozen. While Hyperion Theatre was there last trip this was my first time inside. Photography not allowed during this, Muppet, or Tough to Be a Bug shows. After Monster’s Inc I saw the interactive video feature Turtle Talk with Crush at Disney Animation].

Went to Paradise Pier and this is where the trip fell apart. I went to California Screamin' roller coaster. I couldn't find a place to store my bag and my social anxiety wouldn't let me ask about a bag storage place. So I secured me camera in my camera bag and held on tight to bag during ride. Even so camera stopped working right soon after. I discovered this as I was getting Fastpass for Goofy's Sky School. I checked a couple of leads. Asked if someone at the park could check if Target nearby had one. Had a nervous breakdown when told they couldn't call. Someone finally did call. I was told that another Target had one but was too far away. A later found out it was probably close enough to walk.  Started to leave the park but then started getting partial image so in my shocked state decided to return. They weren't going to let me in again due to camera batteries but finally did. 

I got a Soarin’ Over California Fastpass. Rode Goofy's Sky School though didn't take pics during ride again. Also in Paradise Pier rode the track ride The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure and took photos as well as I could. Rode Grizzly River Rapids once more, then Soarin’ Over California after getting a second Fastpass.   Got emotional after the ride. A worker offered a few suggestions re: camera but nothing took for more than half second at a time. Did get a Soarin’ tour before riding again. Just before the ride heard a cracking sound; didn't make things any worse but it does suggest lens got cracked during California Screamin'. I wanted to get night photos of the park as it's beautiful at night but could only get less than ¼ screen at best. Heart not really into staying at park so took Anaheim Resort Transit bus to near hostel (16; driver just let me on when feeder wouldn't take my money). Grabbed dinner from 7-11. Backup camera's sparking problem too big to take to Disneyland so have to rearrange my schedule to get another camera tomorrow instead.
 
[NOW: The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure wasn’t there during my 2008 trip; it is in the section that is now Paradise Gardens Park.. The driver seemed confused about where I wanted to get off and thought I was lost. The stop near the hostel was in Orange. I returned to Orange Mango in Santa Ana. The rest of the report for this day was a rant I don’t want to post online.]

No comments: