Monday, May 8, 2017

Eastern Canada Trip 2016 Day 14 Monday June 27: Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 14th of a series of posts dealing with my 2016 trip to Toronto, Montreal, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

Today was the last full day of exploring. Last night I noticed that I had left my soap and shampoo in a bathroom. Recovered the shampoo but unless it's hidden in my stuff, lost the soap and soap dish. Pointing out a typo on the fridge but the front desk guy dismissed it as "not his writing".

Got up a little before 5 due to someone's snoring. Just after 5 walked to my usual 24 hours McDonald's but they were closed until 6. It was before opening for a Burger King and A&W but found an open McDonald's at Yonge & Temperance. I walked to Union GO Station and got a daypass. The Lakeshore West train (all Lakeshore West trains GO Transit) was late leaving the station apparently due to construction, though also first day of new schedule.

[NOW: The hostel I stayed at was Backpackers on Dundas, now closed. All restaurants above are on Yonge St.]

I got off at Port Credit GO Station (in Port Credit, Mississauga) and walked to Sylvester Park at Lake Ontario, then the shopping area, then back to Port Credit GO Station. The next train was late arriving and I took it to Oakville GO Station. I walked to parks at the waterfront. Leaving the waterfront I saw an orange rabbit and later a chipmunk. I explored the downtown area and then walked to a comic shop calling Comic Connection. A couple magazines I deemed too expensive but I did get a pop from a vending machine with a "Let the Lord Decide" button. The Lord picked Coke on this occasion. Since I was about half ways between stations I walked to Bronte GO Station, still Oakville, where I waited for a lakeshore West train. I got off at the next stop, Appleby GO Station in Burlington. I walked west, getting a Slurpee at a 7-11. All Slurpees this trip were part of a promo where if you withdraw money from a Scotiabank machine at 7-11 you get a free Slurpee voucher. I walked to Beat Goes On, then Sunrise Records in Burlington Mall (I skipped Cinema 1 at the same mall), and Conspiracy Comics. I just missed a train at Burlington GO Station so I went to a nearby Walmart McDonald's for lunch and then took a slightly late Lakeshore West train to Aldershot GO Staiton where I transferred to an 18 bus (GO Transit) that took me from Burlington to Hamilton (GO Centre).

[NOW: The parks that I visited in Oakville were Waterworks Park and Tannery Park. That Sunrise Records has closed.]

I took a 10 express bus (Hamilton Railway; no rail in their system) and got a transfer on the bus. I got off at Steel City Video and got some DVDs; funds were low which was surprising because I thought my Great West Life amount wound have covered things. I took another 10 bus to near MacNab Transit Terminal; in the latter I took a 27 bus (Hamilton Railway) to Beat Goes On and back. I'd have liked to have visited Big B Comics on the way back but transfer was close to expiring. I got a DVD set at Cheapies (later learning I may have half of the set already), wandering to Hamilton GO Centre. Since I just missed a bus I visited a Scotiabank and tranfered some money between accounts. Gore Park (actual name) downtown was under renovations, as it previously was in 2012. I took an 18 bus (GO Transit) back to Aldershot GO Station. I tried to visit Everything Video, which Google Street View suggested was still around but it was gone. On the Run wanted too much for their drinks. Retuning to Aldershot GO Station (and after finding it pricey there too getting water from bathroom sink), took a slightly late leaving Lakeshore West train back to Union GO Station (the announcer called it Lakeshore East but while eastbound I believe it only changes names at Union). A guy was talking on his cell most of the trip.

[NOW: Steel City Video and Cheapies have closed. The DVD set was for cult movies. Half the set seemed to be a variation of a set I already owned, so while there was indeed considerable overlap, there were a few differences. I don’t think the other half overlapped much if at all with my older set.]

I walked to my usual McDonald's for dinner (it was now open). I met up with Aidan at Toronto Reference Library, just north of Bloor on Yonge, visited ABC books en route; before seeing him I visited a comic shop in the library. Aidan hadn't finished so I walked to Rosedale Station and back. Meeting up with Aidan we walked south in search of a pub. One was too loud even outside, the second was completely full outside, the third, an Irish pub was just right. We parted company at Yonge St & Dundas St and I returned to the hostel.  Tomorrow's report will be pretty late. No promised as I will be bone tired upon arming in Victoria but will attempt at least a placeholder email tomorrow night. But if I'm too exhausted will email Wednesday morning.

[NOW: The comic shop in the library was Page & Panels. I did manage to do the final report before turning in.]

No comments: