Monday, May 8, 2017

Eastern Canada Trip 2016 Day 8 Tuesday June 21: Toronto, Oshawa, Courtice (Clarington), Whitby, Ajax, Pickering

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 8th of a series of posts dealing with my 2016 trip to Toronto, Montreal, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

People always tell me when I travel that two weeks is a long time. If that's so, let me put this question to you: how is it that it's already past the half way mark? Yes, this time a week ago give or take a couple hours I sent the day 1 report.

I got up before 6, had breakfast at McDonald's on Yonge St, then walked north on Yonge St and west on Bloor St to Lansdowne Station. The area I entered anyone could just walk right through. I took a 2/Bloor-Danforth train to Spadina Station and then one of the new 510 streetcars to just north of Queen St. I prefer the classic model. I walked along Queen St to Yonge St, then north to Yonge-Dundas Square. Entering Dundas Station I took a 1/Yonge-University-Spadina train to Union Station (subway). All transportation to this point TTC/Toronto Transit Commission.
 
[NOW: The hostel I stayed at, Backpackers on Dundas has closed.]

I crossed over to Union Station (GO) and bought a daypass for GO Transit; the pass actually suggests the best times for heading to your destination, so all public transportation before returning to Toronto GO Transit. I took a Lakeshore East train east to Oshawa GO Station and then a 96 bus to Oshawa Centre. I walked to Deja Vu Discs and got some movies. I walked to downtown Oshawa and visited Comics Alley Toys. Worlds Collide Comics wasn't open for the day and Star Records was gone. I walked to the Courtice area of Clarington. There I met up with my friend Monica and she drove me to lunch at Five Guys Burgers and Fries near Oshawa GO Station. She drove me to the station and I took a Lakeshore East train to Whitby GO Station. In Whitby I visited Comic Book Addiction and then took another Lakeshore East train to Ajax GO Station. In Ajax I visited Deja Vu Discs and Buy & Sell Kings before walking to Pickering. Movies & Liquidators aka Guest Video was gone. I walked to Pickering GO Station and took a final Lakeshore East train back to Union GO Station.

I visited the CBC Museum and then took a 504 streetcar west (remaining transit today TTC). I walked along Queen St and visited 7-24 Movies & More and West end comics. I had dinner at McDonald's on The Queensway and took a brief 504 streetcar along Roncesvalles to She Said Boom! and another same to Dundas West Station. From there I took a 2 train to Yonge Station and switched to Bloor Station in the same complex. I took a 1 train to Dundas Station. Leaving the station I visited Game Shack in the PATH (underground city).  I visited Yonge-Dundas Square where Value Village had a "Give a Shirt" campaign happening. It's laundry day so I then returned to the hostel early. I might step out again briefly but not sure. Tomorrow's a big day for me, trying a region I've never tried before.

[NOW: As with Church St, the Queen St 7-24 is now closed, as is CBC Museum. That Game Shack might now be an EB Games. I did do a brief walk later.]

No comments: