Friday, May 5, 2017

Pacific Northwest Trip 2015 Day 16 Monday July 27: Seattle, Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Sequim, Port Angeles, Victoria

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 16th and last of a series of posts dealing with my 2015 trip to Portland, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

First off a few oversights: Seattle Center has had a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper posing for photos. Number of times my fare was checked on any light rail system this trip: none. Yesterday I took photos of what was going to be called the South Lake Union Trolley before it was called a streetcar instead due to the acronym (the acronym stuck). It’s a nice ride but a bit out of the way once it leaves Westlake so I couldn't make it work this trip. Worth doing if you have a transfer (only possible with ORCA card) but probably not worth paying $2.50 to do.

[NOW: The new ORCA daypass system should allow me more times to ride.]

I got up around 5 and checked out of City of Hostel Seattle. I lugged my stuff to the McDonald's on 3rd Ave where I had breakfast partly using a voucher I won the day before at the one by Seattle Center (saved money on the pop). I walked to Pike Place Market and saw Rachel the Pig once last time. I got my stuff to the Washington State Ferries terminal. ORCA card's getting low so I paid for the ferry ticket by VISA instead. Not long after it left Seattle a mist blocked the view of the city. Not a bad way to make an exit. The mist cleared as the ferry approached Bainbridge Island Ferry Terminal (Bainbridge Island is the name of both island and municipality). I took a 90 bus (Kitsap Transit) to Poulsbo Transfer Center in Poulsbo where I switched to a 7 bus (Jefferson Transit), getting a slight discount due to ORCA card. I got off at the new Four Corners loop that replaced the old stops (Four Corners is a road just south of Port Townsend. I don't think it's officially part of any city). I visited a store in the area before getting an 8 bus (Jefferson Transit) to Sequim Transit Center, Sequim. I asked someone to keep an eye on my stuff and did a very short walk partly around the block, passing through Seal Street Park.

[NOW: Rachel is a giant piggybank. Buses now connect in Poulsbo at North Viking Transit Center. The revamped Four Corners stop is Four Corners Park and Ride and the store by it is Four Corners Grocery Store.]

Back at the transit center, I took a 30 Commuter bus to Gateway Transit Center, Port Angeles. I walked to E-Z Pawn and got some Blu-rays. Turned out to be a good move as they offered to let me keep my stuff there. Now I lot lighter, I climbed the steps from 1st to 2nd St for the view. Returning to 1st I walked east out of downtown to Angeles Pawn. I was going to walk to McDonald's but was a bit tired and opted for Jack in the Box. Remembering the U District in Seattle I was prepared for their efforts to upsize and insisted on the combo at the price indicated. Returning downtown I visited the Rocktopus and the observation nearby. Then I visited Odyssey Books & Gifts and Bay Variety before heading back to 2nd St for more of the aerial views there. I went back down to 1st and visited Port Book and News before grabbed my stuff from E-Z Pawn. I visited the Chamber of Commerce to use the computer there to get the purchases converted to $Can and then walked to Black Ball ferry Terminal and took the Coho ferry to Victoria. No problem getting through Customs & Immigration and nothing pressing at home where I dropped off my stuff.

[NOW: The 30 bus was Clallam Transit. Angeles Pawn and Bay Variety have closed.]

Not entirely trip related but odd: as I walked to my volunteer place (Pacific Peoples' Partnership) to see some familiar faces, I saw on poles, crescent moons but done as a profile of Santa Claus' face. Okay I realize the weather hasn't been great lately but still... And that's a wrap for 2015!

[NOW: I think the Santa stuff was for a movie shoot.]

No comments: