Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Pacific Northwest Trip 2015 Day 7 Saturday July 18: Portland

UPDATED: February 11, 2021

This is the 7th of a series of posts dealing with my 2015 trip to Portland, Seattle, and vicinity. I’ve made minor corrections to these reports (typos, bits I don’t feel like making public). Also, I’ve added additional thoughts with the hindsight of two years later or to add further clarification.  These are indicated by “NOW”.

I got up a little after 5:30 and walked to Providence Park MAX Station. Across the street at Providence Park itself, people were either waiting early for some event or were transients. Definitely more transients or whatever the proper term is now than before. Got hassled a few times about my camera but won't describe those because I don't want to commit those situations to memory. I took a Blue MAX train (all transportation today TriMet unless noted) to Washington Park MAX Station. I walked along the outside of Oregon Zoo and checked out a few things including a rather dull looking Vietnam War memorial. I took a Blue Line MAX train back from Washington Park MAX Station (which is underground in a tunnel) to Providence Park MAX Station and had a light breakfast (I think the hostel gets slightly old bread somewhere) before heading out again.

[NOW: The hostel I stayed at was Northwest Portland Hostel. To clarify, you take an elevator from Washington Park MAX Station to the above ground area of Washington Park. The full name of the memorial is Oregon Vietnam Veterans Memorial.]

 I walked downtown to Mill Ends park and Salmon Street Springs, then crossed Hawthorne Bridge to the east side. I considered riding the CL Line Portland Streetcar (I've barely ridden the CL Line) but it wasn't running due to construction. I crossed Hawthorne Bridge back over the Willamette River to the west, got a Slurpee from 7-11, and visited the Ira Keller Fountain, not yet on. I took the Yellow Line MAX train north and bought a DVD at the Everyday Music nearest the hostel, then visited Powell's. I took the MS line Portland Streetcar (I believe the city owns the Portland Streetcar but they accept TriMet passes) to the Portland Aerial Tram. The aerial tram is $4.50 return, or $4.50 up/free down if you prefer. Great view of the city. It didn't return down right away so I got some nice shots at the top, which is at a hospital. Back down, I took the Portland streetcar downtown and got some bus schedules from the tourist info centre. There was a sand exhibit there (Pioneer Square) with a suggested donation but they let me in for free because I wanted the info centre not the sand sculpture exhibit. I did take a few photos very briefly to from the info centre but mainly took them outside.
 
[NOW: The CL Line is now the A Loop.]

I took the 56 bus south (realizing too late I dropped that schedule) to Impulse Video. Minimal selection for sale so no impulse buying. I took another 56 bus downtown and found the schedule. I had a pizza to go at Pieology and took it to Director Park. Despite my using the box as a shield a kid in the fountain there (Teachers Fountain from yesterday) managed to scoop up some chlorinated water and splash some of it on my pizza. 
 
[NOW: Impulse Video and that Pieology have closed.]

I took the Blue MAX train to Goose Hollow/SW Jefferson MAX Station where I wandered my way to Daedalus Books in the north end. I walked and took a 20 bus to the waterfront, where I visited Bill Naito Legacy Fountain, which meant getting through a Saturday market to reach. I walked along the waterfront to Salmon Street Springs where I went in the fountain to cool off. I stayed there for a while to relax. At one point Fire & Rescue and an ambulance showed up to deal with some boat matter.

As I visited and took photos of Mill Ends Park a woman, probably intentionally loud enough for me to hear said "... stupid. It's just a pot and a plant." No doubt she's a lot of fun at parties and baby announcements. I got a flavoured water at Rite Aid, revisited Director's Park, and took a Green MAX train to Floating World Comics. I walked back to the waterfront and revisited Bill Naito Legacy Fountain, Salmon Street Springs, Ira Keller Fountain (still not on). I then took a Blue Max train to McDonald's to go. I took one more Blue MAX train back to Director's Park and then Salmon Street Springs, which was off. Back to Naito, then I walked north to Steel Bridge.

Unlike most bridges in Portland the pedestrian/bike part is lower than the vehicles, affording an interesting different view. I crossed over to the east and back, again over the Willamette River. A visit to 7-11 did not reveal a single beer. One final visit to Director Park, then Portland Streetcar NS line to Powell's Books. One last visit there. Wish I was there a week Monday as Jimmy Carter's doing a book signing. I got a beer from Naturally, same place as yesterday, and returned to the hostel to pack all my DVDs. My suitcase has to be tight because the other large bag needs to be carry-on.

[NOW: Unlike Canada, many US 7-11s sell beer.]

No comments: